Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Blessings of Family

For the past two months our little family (three people and two dogs) has lived in a variety of interim housing while in search of a house to purchase. After closing on the sale of our former home, we we're given the opportunity to live in a tiny one bedroom apartment, on a month-to-month basis, until we found a new place. Our new next-door-neighbor was displeased with the management’s decision to allow us to keep dogs in a "no dog" building, even temporarily, and made life very difficult for us (picture woman standing in hall outside our door yelling "you don't belong here!"). We moved out after three weeks, when we could no longer take the anxiety we we're feeling and, apparently, causing.

Next, we moved into the studio that houses my husband's business, for approximately four days. With no shower and no kitchen, it became clear all too quickly that we needed something more "home-like."

So, finally, we decided to take my mother-in-law up on her offer to share her home. What a blessing! After the chaos and drama of moving, it truly felt like we had come home. I now have a greater appreciation for cultures that traditionally house a large, extended family on one property. I enjoy chatting with another woman as I go about my day; sharing the ups and downs on a more intimate level than phone or email can provide; sharing not only chores but laughter and secret frustrations only understood by another woman who’s already been where you are.

As excited as I am to be back in our own home, with our own belongings, I will truly miss and treasure my time spent here. I thank God everyday for providing my family this peaceful retreat in the midst of a very chaotic transition. I’m searching for just the right way to show my appreciation to mother-in-law, as well. Any thoughts?

Blessings,

Mama Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment